iOS Apps using VS2013 ? Is Xamarin required ?

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Hi,
I tried to create à iOS project in VS2013 and i get an error about a sub project type
That is not installed on my system.
Do i need to install (and therefore to pay) xamarin product on my system?

Thanks for your help.
Chris.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2014 at 5:39 AM
Hi Chris,

There are three things you'll need for iOS development with Simple MVVM Toolkit:
  1. A Mac (real or virtual)
  2. Xamarin for the Mac
  3. Xamarin for Windows
Now, the big question is: Do you need the paid version of Xamarin in order to develop iOS apps using Simple MVVM Toolkit? The answer is yes and no. Yes, if you would like to use the Visual Studio templates for Simple MVVM iOS app, in which case you need the Business Edition of Xamarin for Windows. This is a nice feature, because you get a nice sample project with example view-models, etc. But while there is a 30 day free trial of Xamarin Business Edition, the cost is fairly high in my opinion.

However, you do NOT need the Business Edition of Xamarin in order to do iOS development with Simple MVVM Toolkit. Instead, you just use the free Xamarin Studio for Windows, and bring in the Simple MVVM Toolkit NuGet package. (Xamarin Studio does have an add-in for NuGet support.) You won't get the nice pre-packaged Visual Studio template, or the individual item templates. But there is nothing to stop you from just creating a WPF project in VS using the Simple MVVM templates and copying the code over to your Xamarin Studio project.

I currently don't have Simple MVVM Toolkit incorporated into a Xamarin Studio extension, or even know how to do it at this point. But I'll ping a friend of mine who is a Xamarin expert to see if he knows how to do that.

Cheers,
Tony
Feb 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Hi Tony,

As I previously already tested Xamarin products,, I have :

1.A MacMini in network (real)
2.Xamarin for the Mac (Business Edition expired version)
3.Xamarin for Windows (Business edition, expired version)

I asked yesterday to Xamarin support if they can reactivate my evaluation licence so that I can test it again.
I'm waiting their reply...

Cool. I just see you updated the release note to explain more deeper what Xamarin prerequisite are.
Thanks for this wonderfull work and project.

Regards.
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Thanks for hanging in there. MSDN subscribers get a 90 day trial. I'll have to explore doing this with Xamarin Studio (without VS integration) in a future blog post.

Cheers,
Tony
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Hi Tony,

You said :
MSDN subscribers get a 90 day trial

Do you mean a trial for Xamarin software ?? Coz of course I’m a MSDN Subscriber 😊

If yes, do you know what we have to do to get it ?
Simply request to Xamarin ? To MSDN ?

Thanks four your help.
Chris.

Envoyé depuis Windows Mail

De : [email removed]
Envoyé : ‎vendredi‎ ‎14‎ ‎février‎ ‎2014 ‎11‎:‎30
À : [email removed]

Thanks for hanging in there. MSDN subscribers get a 90 day trial. I'll have to explore doing this with Xamarin Studio (without VS integration) in a future blog post.

Cheers,
Tony
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Just go here to get the 90 day trial to Xamarin Bus Edition as an MSDN subscriber: http://xamarin.com/msdn. You will also have access to exclusive training content.

Cheers,
Tony
Feb 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Super cool. Thank you Tony. J

Cheers.

Chris.

De : tonysneed [email removed]
Envoyé : vendredi 14 février 2014 11:49
À : [email removed]
Objet : Re: iOS Apps using VS2013 ? Is Xamarin required ? [simplemvvmtoolkit:531808]

Just go here to get the 90 day trial to Xamarin Bus Edition as an MSDN subscriber: http://xamarin.com/msdn. You will also have access to exclusive training content.

Cheers,
Tony