Installation issue on VS 2013

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Okay, I'm an admitted newbie and I'm going to have to ask for help. I'm trying to learn to use MVVM, and this looks like a great way to do that. I haven't worked with Silverlight, but will probably have to in the future, so this would be a good introduction to that as well. I'm using VS 2013. I've installed the Silverlight 5 tools, the Silverlight 5 toolkit, and the Expression Blend SDK for .NET 4. As well as the Simple MVVM toolkit, of course.

When I create a new SimpleMvvm project, It looks like everything is set up properly (as far as I can tell), but pressing F5 results in an immediate "Unable to start program. file///C:/Programming/.... GettingStartedTestPage.html. A null reference pointer was passed to the stub."

I've set breakpoints in a variety of places, including the constructor in App.xaml.cs, and none of them ever get hit.

Of course I want to follow along with the tutorial, and build on that, but I have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM
This is a known bug in Visual Studio 2013 when using IE10 and debugging a Silverlight application. (It has nothing to do with Simple MVVM Toolkit.) But you can get around it by opening your Web Project Properties settings, click the Web tab, and under 'Debuggers,' unclick 'Silverlight.'

Cheers,
Tony
Feb 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Thanks! I figured it must have to do with my setup, but...

I spent a fair amount of time looking for the Web tab on the HelloSimpleMvvmSL project Properties page, and the only tabs I can come up with are "Silverlight", "Debug", "Build", "Build Events", "Reference Paths", "Signing", and "Code Analysis". None of them seems to have anything about using Silverlight as a debugger. There is probably something obvious that I'm doing wrong. Like not creating a Web Project?

However, your "known bug" link did provide an answer that works for me. I found that if I set the default browser to IE, the sample works fine. I guess I can live with IE until the next update to VS (wherein that issue is expected to be fixed) arrives.

Once again, thank you . Now I can get back to following your video.
Clark
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Ah yes, you would not see the Web tab unless you created a Web project for your Silverlight app. The "Simple Mvvm Silverlight Application" VS template does not create a web host project. Instead, it creates a standalone Silverlight app (for simplicity really). To get a Web project, you'd need to select the "Simple Mvvm Ria Services" VS template, in which case you would have a Web project in the solution and would then see the Web tab for that project. (You'll notice this when you view the "Real World" video.)

All that said, you should look at upgrading to IE 11 and also apply Update 1 to VS 2013. With both of those installed, I am able to debug the Simple Mvvm Silverlight App without any problems using Internet Explorer.

Best wishes in your endeavor to learn MVVM using the Simple MVVM Toolkit. You can also consult the Getting Started Guide from the project docs.

Cheers,
Tony
Feb 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Thank you very much, both for the Simple MVVM framework and for taking the time to help a newbie get started on the right path. I very much appreciate both.
Clark