VS 2012 designer, DesignInstance and Simple MVVM ver4. problem

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Visual Studio 2012 Xaml Designer (Silverlight) is not working properly with a view model if it is described by 'd:DataContext="{d:DesignInstance Type=model:CustomerViewModel}"'.

I ran into this problem when started to use Simple MVVM ver.4 in my project.  I tested this on SimpleMvvm-GettingStarted project and get the same result.

Finally, If I am using Simple MVVM toolkit ver.4, Visual Studio 2012 Xaml Designer is refusing load view model described by “d:DesignInstance”.

Any ideas how resolve this problem?

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I don't believe this approach is necessary with the toolkit, because viewmodel and model base classes have a property to indicate that we're in design mode.

Has anyone else tried this?

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I am using this approach only for design mode. With this approach “binding editor” knows which properties from which view model use for binding. Without this approach “binding editor” in VS2012 is not working.

Is there any other (more useful) method to instruct “binding editor”?

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Do you have to fully qualify the namespace for the type? How are you defining the "model" namespace prefix?
Feb 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM
The "model" namespace prefix is defined as
xmlns:model="clr-namespace:MyProjectName.ViewModels"

In addition, I tested SimpleMvvm-GettingStarted project and get the same result.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I will have a look at this shortly. Stay tuned ...

Tony