Comparison of various MVVM toolkits

Jun 9, 2011 at 5:36 AM
Edited Jun 9, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Thanks Tony for a nice toolkit with comprehensive documentation and code snippets.

I came across this URI http://www.japf.fr/silverlight/mvvm/index.html which has comparison of various MVVM toolkits.

I have created sample application using Simple MVVM and it is working fine for me. After going through the comparison I am now becoming skeptical about my decision. Whether applications using Simple MVVM are scalable and maintenable. Can anyone comment on the comparison made.

Also, there is a mention of Custom licensing. Does this mean if I am using Simple MVVM for commercial application, I need to get some kind of additional license?

Thanks,

Sandeep

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Hello Sandeep,

Unfortunately Jeremy's comparison is way outdated and totally inaccurate.  Here is my comparison between MVVM Light and Simple MVVM Toolkit:

http://blog.tonysneed.com/2011/04/23/simple-mvvm-toolkit-versus-mvvm-light-toolkit

My toolkit has lots of documentation and samples, as well as screencasts and an easy installer.  MVVM Light doesn't have any of those, and Simple MVVM Toolkit offers additional features, such as IEditableObject, Async, Dependency Injection, Unit Testing, and RIA Services.

When Jeremy listed Simple MVVM Toolkit it had only been out a week, so there were just 149 downloads at that time. Now CodePlex lists over 2600 downloads, with another 1500 on VS extensions gallery and 900 from NuGet, totaling about 5000 altogether.

Simple MVVM Toolkit supports Silverlight, WPF and Windows Phone.

Jeremy also got the licensing wrong.  It's the standard MIT license on CodePlex, so you're free to use it in just about any way you want to.

Hope this helps set the record straight. :)

Tony

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your timely response and clarifications. Yes, I too noticed that Jeremy had got certain parameters wrong (or they are outdated).

Your comments are confidence booster for me :)

I will go ahead and use Simple MVVM in my application and recommend the same to other developers as well.

Thanks & regards,
Sandeep