Will SimpleMVVM be okay with VS2015?

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:26 PM
VS 2015 will be released soon. Are the any issues? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM
I had a release of Simple MVVM for VS 2015 RC which I'll update for RTM this month. We are also working on compat with Win 10.
Jul 19, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Great, thanks!

Burton Roberts

Extended Day Services

(412) 608-4205

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Hi Tony, what's the current estimate for the VS 2015 version release?

Thanks,

Dean
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2015 at 9:13 PM
Appreciate the nudge. I'll look at my calendar to see where I can work on it, then I'll reply to here. I am guessing I'll have time Oct or Nov. As a workaround, use VS 2013 to create the MVVM project, then just open it in VS 2015. -:))
May 16, 2016 at 3:15 AM
Hi Tony,

Any update on this one? mvvm snipets doesn't seem to work with VS2015. Its a bit of trouble trying to create heaps of properties and other useful snipets. Hope you find some time for the update.
Coordinator
May 16, 2016 at 3:28 PM
I have to admit that I forgot about this until now. The issue for me presently is that building all the project templates and a new VSIX is quite time-consuming, and I'm now off doing other things. However, what I can do is provide the code snippets as a separate download and provide that to you. That way, you can use those right away. Just give me a day or two to work on that. Thanks!

Tony
May 17, 2016 at 1:39 AM
Edited May 17, 2016 at 1:40 AM
That should be good for now Tony. Thanks for updating it. The tool is just so helpful that we would like to see it kept updated. :-)
Coordinator
May 17, 2016 at 8:29 AM
Would love to keep the toolkit updated -- just need some help. :-) The main thing will be to convert it to the new .NET Platform Standard, which will make it compatible with current and future platforms.

About the snippets, I think the best approach right now would be for you to download and install them locally. You can find them here on the GitHub repo for Simple MVVM Toolkit: https://github.com/tonysneed/SimpleMvvmToolkit/tree/master/Extensions/Code%20Snippets.

To install the code snippets, use the Code Snippets Manager, as described here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9ybhaktf(v=vs.100).aspx

Cheers,
Tony
May 18, 2016 at 1:02 AM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the snippets. All good now. Really appreciate your work.
Coordinator
May 18, 2016 at 7:42 AM
The next step in updating Simple MVVM Toolkit is to port it to the new .NET Platform Standard, so that present and future versions of .NET will be supported, including Universal Windows Platform and Xamarin.

The best place to start is with this article: Writing Libraries with Cross Platform Tools. I think we should create a new set of NuGet packages with the name: SimpleMvvmToolkit.Express.

Let me know if you'd like to help with that. I will create a place on GitHub for it.

Cheers,
Tony
May 19, 2016 at 2:01 AM
Hi Tony,

I don't think I am competent enough to help with that. I hope someone from the community joins in. I will start to read the article regarding cross platform tools to set myself a goal. Its hard keeping up with this moving target but I guess that is the nature of coding world.
Coordinator
May 24, 2016 at 8:01 PM
Guess what?!! I did the port - it's done! Check it out: https://github.com/SimpleMvvm/SimpleMvvmToolkit.Express
Coordinator
May 24, 2016 at 8:11 PM
Do you know Xamarin Forms? I could use some help with that sample. I already have samples for WPF and UWP, so those could be used as an example for the Xamarin sample.
May 25, 2016 at 2:34 AM
Edited May 25, 2016 at 2:36 AM
That was quick Tony. The Express says it does not support Silverlight. Will you be maintaining the original version? I am using the toolkit solely for Silverlight project. I will definitely use this if I start any new projects in UWP.
Coordinator
May 25, 2016 at 3:46 AM
Just use the main Simple MVVM Toolkit for Silverlight development - the NuGet package works fine with VS 2015. Out of curiosity, why are you doing Silverlight development? It's been totally dead for quite some time.
May 25, 2016 at 3:49 AM
Thanks Tony. We developed this business application when Silverlight was at its limelight and it still is a great technology for our business application which web cannot replace (yet). We might change the application to WPF or UWP in future but it is still a great technology for business applications.
Coordinator
May 25, 2016 at 3:54 AM
Do you have control over which browser clients are using? Or are you running out of browser?
May 25, 2016 at 2:23 PM
To be clear. In order to use the new SimpleMvvmToolkit.Express in a WPF project, for example, I would need to start a new blank WPF project, then use the Nuget Package manager to install the new bits? Then all the templates and snippets would be installed. Is that correct?

If I open up an existing WPF project in VS2015 that was started as a SimpleMvvm WPF project in Visual Studio 2013 and remains located under the VS2013 folder, do I need to do anything? Even if I want to change the target framework to 4.6 from 4.5?

Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
May 25, 2016 at 5:03 PM
Simple MVVM Toolkit Express is deployed in a single NuGet package which targets multiple platforms: https://www.nuget.org/packages/SimpleMvvmToolkit.Express. It does not include any Visual Studio templates, because creating and maintaining these are extremely time-consuming, especially since new versions of Visual Studio are released frequently.

However, you can still use the existing templates from Visual Studio 2013 -- just open up the resulting project in Visual Studio 2015. For WPF, that is already supported by the existing templates, so you're good to go there. If you want to target something like a Universal Windows Platform app or .NET Core, then instead you should start with one of the sample projects located here: https://github.com/SimpleMvvm. There you will find samples for WPF 4.6, UWP 10.0, and Xamarin Forms for iOS, Android, Windows Store and Windows Phone using a Portable Class Library.

To answer your last question, yes, you can simply open an existing WPF project in VS2015 that was created in VS 2013, but if you want to change to .NET 4.6, you can simply uninstall the SimpleMvvmToolkit NuGet package and install the express version.
May 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM
Thanks again. SimpleMvvmToolkit has been like godsend to me.
Coordinator
May 25, 2016 at 7:17 PM
Great to hear! I appreciate the encouragement and am happy it can now support all the modern UI platforms. I was also glad I could provide a sample using Xamarin Forms. :)