VS2012 and Win8

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Any ideas on when the VS2012 installer and support for Win8 will be available.  I am interested in looking using this but since I am only doing Win8 development at this time I really needs both to consider Simple MVVM.  Until you support both, that is one big difference between "Simple MVVM" and "MVVM Lite".

I just now started to look at "MVVM Lite" and still have not gotten it to work in my project.  And I agree with other post that I have seen, that the lack of example is one of the biggest drawback of "MVVM Lite".  So hoping the above support comes sooner rather than later, since the documentation and samples are so much better.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I'll be working on porting the toolkit this week.  In the meantime, try the NuGet package for Simple MVVM Toolkit, which will give you the reference.  Then just copy the snippets and templates into the VS 2012 documents directory.  However, I'll be updating the installer this week to play nice with VS 2012, so you'll be able to run in and the snippets and templates will be copied to where they need to be.  Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Tony

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
What about Win8, WinRT and WP8 support.? I am writing an application that I needs to run on PC's, tablets and win phone.

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 06:53:05 -0700
Subject: Re: VS2012 and Win8 [simplemvvmtoolkit:399382]

I'll be working on porting the toolkit this week. In the meantime, try the NuGet package for Simple MVVM Toolkit, which will give you the reference. Then just copy the snippets and templates into the VS 2012 documents directory. However, I'll be updating the installer this week to play nice with VS 2012, so you'll be able to run in and the snippets and templates will be copied to where they need to be. Thanks for your patience.
Cheers,
Tony
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (simplemvvmtoolkit@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email simplemvvmtoolkit@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM
I'm working on a version of the toolkit based on the Portable Library Tools, which will provide compatibility with Win8, WinRT, WP8, etc.
Oct 18, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Sent from Windows Mail
Sent: ‎October‎ ‎16‎, ‎2012 ‎7‎:‎07‎ ‎PM
To: pcresourcesllc@hotmail.com
Do you have any target date for this to be completed? Just want an idea so I can decide if I need to look at other alternative until Simple MVVM support all 3 Win8 platforms.

I'm working on a version of the toolkit based on the Portable Library Tools, which will provide compatibility with Win8, WinRT, WP8, etc.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Over the past couple of days I was able to update the toolkit to use Portable Tools Library, so the common bits are there now. What's left is to add classes specific to each platform. Hope to add the WinRT/Win8 bits in the next week or so. I'll add the Win Phone 8 bits when the SDK comes out later this month.
Oct 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

How hard was it to use the Portable library. I am thinking of using it for the share code that is used by the application on all three platforms? Was there enough documentation and samples out there to get you up and running quickly?

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:12 AM

Over the past couple of days I was able to update the toolkit to use Portable Tools Library, so the common bits are there now. What's left is to add classes specific to each platform. Hope to add the WinRT/Win8 bits in the next week or so. I'll add the Win Phone 8 bits when the SDK comes out later this month.

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

How hard was it to use the Portable library. I am thinking of using it for the share code that is used by the application on all three platforms? Was there enough documentation and samples out there to get you up and running quickly?

Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:12 AM

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2012 at 3:10 AM
The Portal Library Tools are extremely easy to use. Just create a new portable class library, and specify target platforms. The hard part is dealing with the lowest common denominator for functionality. Only code that works across all your target platforms will compile. If something platform-specific is in there, it needs to come out into another class library.
Oct 19, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Great, I will have to look into it. Sounds like what I need to use. From what it sounds like you might have the only MVVM C# library that will work on Win8, WinRT and WP8 phones. So how hard will it be for me to convert what I have done from MVVM lite to Simple MVVM?
Sent from Windows Mail
Sent: ‎October‎ ‎18‎, ‎2012 ‎9‎:‎10‎ ‎PM

The Portal Library Tools are extremely easy to use. Just create a new portable class library, and specify target platforms. The hard part is dealing with the lowest common denominator for functionality. Only code that works across all your target platforms will compile. If something platform-specific is in there, it needs to come out into another class library.
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM
MVVM Light already supports Win8/WinRT, so if you are already using it, you might want to download the latest version and give it a try. That way, you won't have to convert your code. The Windows Phone 8 SDK has yet to be released, but Laurent has a very good track record of updating his toolkit soon after the release of each new platform from Microsoft.

Cheers,
Tony