Windows 8 support

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Are there any plans for providing support for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 in the nearby future?

Coordinator
Oct 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

My plan is to use the Portable Class Libraries to port the Simple Mvvm Toolkit to implement versions for Windows 8, Windows Store, Windows Phone 8, etc, as well as "legacy" platforms such as Silverlight and WPF.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Now that I have completed a WPF project using Simple MVVM toolkit, I would like to use it in an HTML 5 app.  I am really impressed with what Simple MVVM Toolkit provides and would like to use it for my next project. I plan to use HTML 5 to modernizing an MVC style Web app (Java/Struts) I created about 10 years ago. You mention porting this over using the portable class libraries. Have you made any progress or do you have any suggestions on how feasible this might be?

Thanks,

David Morris

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Version 4 for VS 2012 already uses Portal Class Library for the common code.  However, there are platform-specific features that are required, so there are implementations for supported platforms - WPF 4.5 and Silverlight 5 for VS 2012.  More work needs to be done for porting the toolkit to Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.  However, if you are developing in the web space, then you're better off going with Backbone and Knockout for Mvvm support.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Thanks you for the advice, I really appreciate your guidance. The app I am rewriting is generally run on a single machine but some customers run it on a server, which has been a nice capability. It has also been run as a hosted app. Java/Struts gave a pretty controlled environment because 90% of the work was on the server side even if the server was the local machine but the compromise is the UI capability, which is not ideal due to the javascript needed to support some UI elements. When I posted the message, I was thinking that I might be able to use Simple MVVM Toolkit but now realize Knockout is the MVVM of choice for HTML5 apps. I have had some exposure to Knockout but it doesn't feel as tightly controlled as WPF/Sinple MVVM Toolkit.

I have this vision of a Windows 8 App store standalone and Web delivered interface using a common and if possible somewhat shared HTML5 UI. Accurate printing and scaling of UI elements is important in this app but I am thinking that HTML5 should generally be an improvement over HTML4 and is the reason I could never consider Silverlight or most other UI options. Pretty much everything I need is built into HTML5 or can be added and should be better than what I used in the past - things like grids and flexboxes are much more capable and are better able to handle the graphic layout I need. The backend will likley be C# services using Entity Framework and likely exposing json datasets.

Thanks again for the tips; I will look at Backbone and will keep Simple MVVM Toolkit at the top of the list for any new projects.